Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ribbon Topiary


I wanted to share with you how I made the above Ribbon Topiary (I actually made two) for Catherine's party since I had so many compliments on them!
The tutorial I am going to share with you is one I got from

Items needed:

-scissors

-metal bucket, or other base of your choice-spray paint, if desired

-green floral foam

-thick wooden dowel
(I used the second thickest dowel from Hobby Lobby-
-I believe it was 7/8 of an inch)

-styrofoam ball, size of your choice, depending on how big you want your topiary to be
(I used a 6 inch ball)

-metal straight pins
-ribbon! I used 5 different types of ribbon, and about 20 total yards.
-moss, or some other filler for base


Instructions:
-paint your bucket if desired. I got mine (black metal bucket) for $2.99 at Hobby Lobby. You could paint it any color, or keep it metal if you like.

-paint your dowel. This color really depends on the color of your base, and which color combinations you are using in your ribbon.

-cut and insert foam into bucket. I found that a cutting board and sharp knife worked well. Make sure the foam is tight, and won't move inside the base.

-insert dowel in the center of your base, securely into the foam. -Place your styrofoam ball on the dowel, making sure it is centered. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be, so I would suggest a measuring tape and a marker to help guide you. If you mess up, don't worry. The ribbon will totally cover any holes. I know, because I had at least 10 of them, lol!

-Time for ribbon! Cut a piece of ribbon about 3 inches or so in length. Bring the two ends together, overlapping a bit, to make a loop. Stick a straight pin through the place where the ends meet, and stick it into the styrofoam ball. I started at the top, and moved my way down, although you could really start anyplace you wanted to. Make sure you vary sizes, textures, widths, and ribbons as you're placing them on the ball, and also the direction they are facing. You can also add some texture by letting the ends of some of the ends of your loops stick out (when you overlap the ends, just let one of the ends extend out past the loop) when you place them on. Continue until the whole ball is covered, making sure none of the ball shows through.

-Fill your base with moss, or whatever you desire. (I used red shredded paper that I got in the wrapping paper section at Hobby Lobby)


-If you'd like, tie a ribbon in a knot or bow around your base. Voila!


No comments:

Post a Comment